Beauvoir, The National Cathedral Elementary School
May 29, 2018
Full Time - Experienced
4 Year Degree
Reports to: Head of School
Also Works With: Administrators, Faculty, Staff, Parents, Students, Close Clergy and Cathedral Staff
The Chaplain serves as a spiritual leader at Beauvoir, The National Cathedral Elementary School and stewards the community's relationship with the Washington National Cathedral and the other school Chaplaincies on the Close. The chaplaincy is a part time role supplemented by community service and classroom teaching responsibilities to complete the full-time position.
Duties and Responsibilities of This Position:
1. Plan, conduct and oversee developmentally-appropriate monthly chapel services for Grades One, Two and Three in the Cathedral, in conjunction with the Divisions Directors;
2. Plan, conduct and oversee developmentally-appropriate monthly chapel services for the Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten classes in the Beauvoir conference room, in conjunction with the Division Directors;
3. Plan, conduct and oversee developmentally-appropriate monthly chapel services for the Cubs (three-year olds) in their classroom, in conjunction with the Cubs' teachers.
4. In conjunction with the Head of School and the Division Directors, plan annual Special Chapels, including Thanksgiving Chapel, Christmas Chapel and the End-of-Year Chapel in the Great Crossing of the National Cathedral.
1. Provide pastoral care for students, school parents and faculty, as needed
1. Serve as a resource for teachers and staff in identifying developmentally-appropriate materials, stories, and other media, spiritual in nature, for classroom and chapel use.
2. Work with teachers to facilitate Cathedral Studies Program in First Grade
3. Work with teachers and administrators to support the commitment to the Beauvoir Life Rules, reflecting the School’s mission and values.
4. When possible, participate in faculty meetings and all-school events
5. Assume appropriate level of supervision-duty assignments
1. Plan Close-wide Services within rotation of Beauvoir, St. Albans and National Cathedral School
2. Collaborate with other chaplains on the Close in support of Close activities, religious events, and other celebrations.
3. Participate in New Faculty/Staff Orientation by providing a Tour of the Cathedral and orientation to Beauvoir’s Life Rules.
1. Ordained Episcopal Priest preferred. However, lay person with experience in education and proven success in religious education and/or spiritual leadership considered.
2. A minimum of three years’ experience working with toddlers and young children preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
1. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
2. Facility with planning Chapel services.
3. Mature judgment and discretion; ability to maintain confidentiality and composure under pressure.
4. Team focused; hospitable and professional manner when dealing with staff, volunteers, parents, students and others.
5. Strong ability to organize work, set and adjust priorities, meet deadlines, and execute multiple concurrent tasks; to anticipate needs and respond accordingly, and to perform with an appropriate degree of initiative.
1. Passing periodic credit and background checks, FBI background check and, at the discretion of the school, drug and alcohol screening.
2. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
3. Strong writing and editing skills; ability to write and format professional correspondence, memos, and support documentation.
4. Mature judgment and discretion; ability to maintain confidentiality and composure under pressure working with sensitive or confidential information..
5. Consistent and prompt attendance.
6. Compliance with the provisions of the Beauvoir Faculty & Staff Handbook
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to Interim Head of School, Michael Eanes at email@example.com.
About Beauvoir, The National Cathedral Elementary School
Beauvoir is an independent elementary school, serving a co-ed population of 390 students from grades pre-kindergarten through third grade. Beauvoir also has an Early Learning Center that serves children from infancy through age three.
Mission: At Beauvoir, the National Cathedral Elementary School, we provide an extraordinary early childhood education in a diverse community that values every individual. Beauvoir's program encourages creative, courageous learners and builds an enduring foundation for a lifelong spirit of inquiry and joy in learning.